WELCOME TO LAKSHADWEEP
CORAL PARADISE OF INDIA
“Enjoy the beauty of the Lakshadweep”
Lakshadweep, formerly the Laccadives, is a group of 36 islands situated 200–440 km off the kerala coast .The name Lakshadweep in Malayalam and Sanskrit means ‘a hundred thousand islands’
India’s smallest Union Territory Lakshadweep It is a group of 36 exotic islands spreding an area of 32 sq km comprising 12 atolls, 10 inhabited islands, 3 reefs and 5 submerged banks. The capital of Lakshadweep, Kavaratti is also a principal town of this Union Territory. only ten Islands are inhabited and they are Andrott, Amini, Agatti, Bitra, Chetlat, Kadmat, Kalpeni, Kavaratti, Kiltan and Minicoy.
The islands offer a precious heritage of ecology and culture.The unique feature of the Islands is its coral reef,making it a pristine leisure spot to come back to.Lakshadweep is one of the most spectacular tropical island systems in the world.The lagoon offers excellent potential for water sports like swimming, wind-surfing, snorkeling, kayaking and Scuba Diving.
Lakshadweep Island can be reached by ships and flights operated from Kochi. For all tourist purposes Kochi is the gate way to Lakshadweep.Agatti and Bangaram islands can be reached by flight from Kochi. Air India operate flights from Bangalore via kochi to Agatti.
Lakshadweep Island can be reached by ships and flights operated from Kochi. For all tourist purposes Kochi is the gate way to Lakshadweep
Agatti and Bangaram islands can be reached by flight from Kochi. Air india operate flights from Kochi. From Agatti boats are available to Kavaratti and Kadmat during fair season October to May. Helicopter transfer is available from Agatti to Kavaratti during monsoon season subjected to availability of helicopter. The flight from Cochin to Agatti takes approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
Seven passenger ships – MV Kavaratti, MV Arabian Sea, MV Lakshadweep Sea, MV Lagoon, MV Corals, MV Amindivi and MV Minicoy operate between Cochin and Lakshadweep islands. The passage takes 14 to 18 hours depending on island chosen for journey. The ships offer different classes of accommodation: A/C First Class with two berth cabins, A/C Secound Class with four berth cabins and push back/Bunk Class with A/C seating. A doctor is available on call on board. MV Amindivi and MV Minicoy also offer comfortable A/C seating ideal for a night’s journey. During fair season, high speed vessels operate between islands.
- ► Make sure your reservation of tour in advance before leaving your station.
- ► Carry your special brand of medicines, cosmetics, cigarettes etc. as only ordinary varieties will be available on the islands.
- ► Only BSNL and Airtel provides telecommunication services to Lakshadweep Islands. BSNL provides connectivity in all 10 inhabited islands where as Airtel provides connectivity to Kavaratti Agatti and Bangaram Islands. So ensure to keep sim card while traveling to Lakshadweep.
- ► Alcohol is not allowed in Lakshadweep.
- ► Picking corals from the island is a punishable act. It affects the ecosystem.
- ► Carrying prohibited drugs and narcotics into Lakshadweep is a punishable offense.
- ► Swimming or Sunbathing nude is not allowed.
- ► Do not pluck coconuts from the trees. They are privately owned and plucking coconuts without permission is a punishable offense.